Saturday, December 6, 2014

Salmon Cakes

I've been making salmon cakes for years using an older Cooks Illustrated recipe.  I really loved them, they were incredible.  The other night I was watching a newer episode and saw them make a version that appeared to be much simpler and faster.  Well tonight I unthawed some of the wild Alaskan Salmon I caught in the Russian River last Summer, and gave it a try.     Needless to say I don't think I'll be using the old recipe anytime soon.
Here's how it's done.

In a bowl mix the following:
3Tbsp Panko
1 lemon juiced
2 tsp dried parsely
1 tsp dried thyme (heaping)
2 Tbsp Mayo
1 tsp Dijon or Stone ground Mustard
3/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne
3 garlic cloves minced
1 shallot minced ( I put this in the mini chopper with the garlic to save my eyes from watering )

Now for the fish:
skin about a pound of salmon, chop it into one inch cubes, throw it in two batches in the food processor, pulse about 5-8 times for one second.   Shouldn't be mush, but close to ground beef consistency.

Finish it up:
Throw the salmon in the bowl.   Mix thoroughly.   Pack it into a 1/3 cup, whack it a few times to get it to fall out onto a baking sheet, repeat until out of salmon mix.   Roll each cake in some panko.   Heat some oil in a pan.   Cook about 4 minutes a side with the cover on until crispy on each side and about 130 degrees in the middle.  Serve!!   I usually whip up a simply tartar sauce to put on top.